Shanabananablog » movies

The US Open, Borat, Mad Men, and Klute…..

Filed under Movies on Sunday September 9, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Well, this pretty much sums up my weekend. I’ve never watched much tennis – my brother is a big fan. But I really got interested in the US Open. Tim and I watched during the week and watched the finals this weekend. It’s really great. The weather in New York made me wish I was there.

On the movie front, we saw “Borat” and “Klute”. “Borat”is so funny. I’m sure I’m the only person in American who has not seen it, but Friday night Jon and Al brought over their copy. I can’t believe how far he got with people. I really want to know how he offended the dinner party in Texas. “Klute” has been on my list for a long time. Jane Fonda was amazing, but overall it did not stand the test of time for me. It got very slow. Still, worth renting or watching for the historical value.

And last, but not least – make sure you watch “Mad Men” . It’s on AMC. Set in the 1960’s, it about an advertising agency in New York, and the lives of the “boys club” who run the agency. Their home lives are so interesting as is the social commentary on men and women in the workplace.

We have a busy week coming up – a Dodger’s Game, my friend Jen is bringing her family down for a trip and we are seeing the play “Chess”. Do you remember “Chess”? Well, I bet you remember one song from it. The play is about a chess tournament and the music was written by the guys from ABBA. It flopped, but a song “One Night in Bangkok” was a hit. I can’t imagine it will be very good, but it will be fun.

Oh – and I just got my passport – Europe is just around the corner!

2 comments

Memorial Weekend

Filed under Movies, Holidays, Friends on Monday May 28, 2007 at 9:17 pm

We’ve had such a nice relaxing Memorial Day weekend. On Saturday night, we traveled to Orange County to see Joe and Monique. They just got back from Europe. I can’t wait to go to London! They visited London and Paris. Their pictures were spectacular! I have to ride the London Eye. It’s scary looking, but what a view.

On Sunday I watched 3 movies! I finally caught “All The King’s Men”. What a treat! If you’ve never seen this movie (and I mean the 1949 version!), make sure you watch it. I also saw “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea”. Several years ago, two film makers did a documentary on Metallica. It’s 2001 and they are making an album, but the band is on edge. Drugs and their hard lifestyle has taken a toll. So what’s a band to do? Why hire a therapist of course – at a cost of $40,000 a month! It’s great! The therapist is with them at their sessions – he even gives them some thoughts on lyrics. It’s very interesting! It’s called “Metallica: Some Kind of Monster”.

I’ve been cooking up a storm too. I’ve made chocolate covered strawberries, fish tacos, vegetarian dumplings with a spicey dipping sauce, mini twice baked potatoes. It’s been fun! I love weekends when we have time to catch up.

3 comments

A Few Good Movies

Filed under Movies on Monday February 12, 2007 at 7:26 am

We went to two movies this week – “Pan’s Labyrinth” and “Notes on a Scandal” in an effort to catch up before the Academy Awards, which I will miss! I’m going to visit my parents the weekend of 2/24 and fly home on Sunday night during the awards show! Both movies are both great. Just a word of warning, “Pan’s Labyrinth” is not exactly a fantasy and is very violent in parts. So, after seeing these movies, I completed my “Best of 2006 List”. By the way, I did miss several pivotal movies – “Borat”, “The Good Shepherd” and “The Last King of Scotland”:
1) The Queen
2) Notes on a Scandal
3) The Departed
4) An Inconvenient Truth
5) Pan’s Labyrinth

4 comments

Halloween Post

Filed under Movies on Saturday October 28, 2006 at 7:43 am

I saw this very weird Bela Lugosi – Boris Karloff movie last year called “The Black Cat”. It’s very creepy! You might want to add it to your viewing list!

No comments

Turner Classics Update….

Filed under Movies on Saturday August 26, 2006 at 8:27 am

If you are not busy tonight, be sure to tune in to Turner Classic Movies! “North by Northwest” is on. I LOVE this movie!!

1 comment

Turner Classic Movies

Filed under Movies on Friday August 4, 2006 at 6:36 am

Don’t forget to tune in to Turner Classic Movies this month. Every day in August they are featuring a different actor or actress and playing their movies all day. As luck would have it, we tuned in on Wed and caught the Marx Brothers classics “Horse Feathers” and “Duck Soup”. Tonight is Gregory Peck and tomorrow is Humphrey Bogart!

No comments

A Prairie Home Companion

Filed under Movies on Tuesday June 13, 2006 at 9:43 am

Tim took his Dad to a jazz show last night. So, his mother and I decided to take in a movie. I really wanted to see “A Prairie Home Companion” and as she is a big Meryl Streep fan, she agreed. I really enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it. It’s got a unique pace and revolves completely around the radio show. So as you are watching characters interact behind stage, the show is going on – you always hear music. I really enjoyed “Lake Wobegon Days” – my Dad loved that book and gave it to me years ago. We had the books on tape too and I used to listen to Garrison Keillor when I took walks- his voice is so soothing. I’ve never listened to “A Prairie Home Companion” consistently – so I didn’t know the characters. None the less, it’s a really fun, touching movie!

No comments

Movie

Filed under Movies on Wednesday April 19, 2006 at 6:42 am

We saw “Thank you for Smoking” last week. Overall it was just so-so, but I really liked Aaron Eckhart’s performance. He was funny! The satire wasn’t quite strong enough to make the movie believable. Adam Brody (from the “OC”) and Rob Lowe made me laugh the most! I think it’s definitely worth renting or taking in a matinee.

No comments

Basic Instinct

Filed under Movies on Monday March 27, 2006 at 12:25 pm

Does anyone really want to see this movie?  My better instinct tells me to pass!  I can’t believe the buzz it’s getting on the internet!

4 comments

Movies

Filed under Movies on Sunday March 5, 2006 at 8:49 pm

Well, I haven’t seen all the movies nominated. But I decided to let you know the top movies for me and by the way – I did not like “Crash”, but sadly did not see “Brokeback Mountain” or “Munich”:

Good Luck and Good Night